Flood Routing By Reservoir
Safety Inspection Of Dams
Ø The dams are national property – constructed for the development of the national economy and
Classification Of Dams
Selection Of Dams To Be Investigated
possessing a hazard potential classified high or significant
Scope:The investigation will develop an assessment of the general condition with respect to safety of the project based upon available data and a visual inspection, determines any need for emergency measures and conclude if additional studies, investigation and analyses are necessary and warranted
Evaluation Of Structural Stability
Various flood routing Strategies:
(Ganga & Brahmaputra Basins)
(ii) Flood Management by Reservoir in Pakistan
(Tarbela & Mangla Reservoir)
(iii)Extended Muskingum method for flood routing
The Indian River System:-
Procedure used to ensure proper reservoir operation
1. Meteorological tracking of weather system as it originates from Bay of Bengal.
2. Quantitative rainfall forecast/measurement on Mangla Reservoir catchment.
3. The forecast/measured rainfall will be used to compute the inflow hydrograph at Mangla Reservoir using the rainfall-runoff models.
1.K.H.V. Durga Rao ,V. Bhanumurthy , P.S. Roy ,2009 .Application of Satellite – based Rainfall Products and SRTM DEM in Hydrological Modelling of Brahmaputra Basin .Indian soc. remote sens. (december 2009) 37:587–600.
2. Niladri Gupta, Petter Pilesjo, and Ben Maathuis, 2009. Use of Geoinformatics for Inter -Basin Water Transfer Assessment . ISSN 0097-8078, Water Resources, 2010, Vol. 37, No. 5, pp. 623–637.
3. Dr. shahbaz khan. Decision support system for reservoir operation to manage severe floods in Pakistan, National Engineering service of Pakistan pvt. Ltd.,576.
4. D. Nagesh Kumar , Falguni Baliarsingh , K. Srinivasa Raju ,2011.Extended Muskingum method for flood routing. Hydro-environment Research 5(2011) 127-135.