Pre-Engineered Buildings (PEB)
Pre-engineered buildings are buildings that are built in factories and are made of steel that are shipped to site and bolted together. PEB (Pre-engineered Building) revolution the construction market using built up sections in place of conventional hot rolled sections. A large column free area is the utmost requirement for any type of industry which is provided by PEB.
PEB concept involves the steel building systems which are pre designed and prefabricated. As the name itself indicates, there is involvement of pre engineering of structural elements. The basis of PEB is to provide the section at the specified location only according to the need at that spot. The sections may differ along the length according to the bending moment diagram. The use of optimal least section leads to the effective saving of steel and also reduction in the cost, thanks to the reduction in logistics and overall labour.
Various systems of PEB – Pre-Engineered Buildings:
This system involves tapered or parallel columns or tapered beams which are called rafters. Base of column is either fixed or pinned based on the load requirements.
It consists of purlins, grits which are the side claddings and eave struts stiffened by sag rods. This system also includes the flange stiffeners which joins the untied flanges of the PEB primary system to the secondary system.
Wind bracing system:
Rod bracing and the portal system are the two types of wind bracing systems. Each one is chosen accordingly depending on design and functional requirement.
This part includes the Turbo ventilator, ridge vents, Flashings, gutters, down pipes, ladders etc.
Advantages of PEB – Pre-Engineered Buildings:
- Construction time: PEB reduces the total construction cost by the least 40% which leads to faster occupancy and early revenue.
- Lower cost: Saving is accomplished in design, manufacturing and erection cost.
- Large clear span: In PEB the buildings can be given up to 90m clear spans which is the important advantage of PEB with column free space.
- Flexibility of expansion: PEB can be easily expanded in length by adding additional bays.
- Quality control: PEB’s are manufactured under controlled conditions depending on the site and hence the quality is assured.
- Low maintenance: PEB’s have high quality paint systems for cladding which gives long durability and low maintenance costs.
Applications of Pre-Engineered Buildings – PEB:
Some of the many applications of PEB are:
- Factories, Warehouses, Workshops, Offices
- Gas stations
- Aircraft hangers
- Metro stations
- Vehicle parking sheds
- Schools, Indoor stadium roofs
- Bridges, Railway platform shelters
- Outdoor stadium canopies
PEB are more advantageous than the conventional structures in economy, speed of construction and simple erection. As these structures have a wide scope, they must be preferred and utilized.
Video below shows step by step assembly of a Pre engineered structure.
[tubepress video = “g6sSbazsyLw”]