Topics from Mechanics of Solids
Click on each stream to view topics from each stream.
Tension, compression & shear
Types of external loads, self-weight, internal stresses, normal and shear stresses, strain, Hooke’s law, Poisson’s ratio, relationship between elastic constants, stress strain diagrams working stress, elongation of bars of constant and varying sections, statically indeterminate problems in tension and compression, assembly and thermal stresses- strain energy in tension, compression and shear.
Analysis of stress and strain
Stress on inclined planes for axial and biaxial stress fields, principal stresses, Mohr’s circle of stress, principal strains, strain rosette, principal stress/strain problem as an eigenvalue problem.
Bending moment and shear force
Different types of beams, shear force and bending moment diagrams for simply supported overhanging and cantilever beams, relationship connecting intensity of loading, shearing force and bending moment, shear force and bending moment diagrams for statically determinate plane frames.
Stresses in laterally loaded symmetrical beams
Theory of simple bending, limitations, bending stresses in beams of different cross sections, moment of resistance, beams of uniform strength, beams of two materials, shearing stresses in bending, principal stresses in bending, strain energy due to bending.
Shear flow, shear centre, determination of shear centre for simple sections.
Theory of columns
Axial loading of short strut, long columns, differential equation of the elastic curve, Euler’s formula, eccentric loading, direct and bending stresses, buckling load as an eigenvalue problem.
Torsion of circular solid and hollow shafts, power transmission, strain energy in shear and torsion, close coiled and open coiled helical springs.
Thin and thick cylinders
Lame’s equation, stresses in thick cylinders due to internal and external pressures, compound cylinders, shrink fit, wire wound pipes and cylinders.
- Gere, J.M., Mechanics of Materials, Thomson, Singapore, 2001.
- Popov, E.P., Mechanics of Materials, Prentice Hall India, New Delhi, 2002.
- Timoshenko, S.P., and Young, D.H., Elements of Strength of Materials, East West Press, New Delhi, 2003.
- Beer, F. P. and Johnston, E. R., Mechanics of Materials, Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi, 2005
- Hearn, E. J., Mechanics of Materials Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1982.
- Nash, W. A., Strength of Materials, Schaum’s Outline Series, McGraw Hill, New York, 1988.