Groundwater Assessment Methods
♦Basic knowledge of geological and environmental conditions
♦Review of previous investigation results
♦Measurements of water levels
♦Sampling & preliminary assessment of water quality
Water level measurements
♦standard tape measure (shallow wells)
♦‘dipmeter’: tape measure on reel with optional light & buzzer (deep wells and boreholes
- Stretch resistant survey tape
- Tape marked in m, cm,mm
- Clear polyethylene coating on tape
- Corrosion resistance construction
- Sensitivity control test button
- Visible and audible indicators
- In operation, the probe is lowered down the open bore until it comes into contact with the water surface. This completes the circuit and activates an alarm.
- The operator then reads the depth of the probe off the tape at the collar.
- The probe features a sensitive control to eliminate false water level readings due to dripping water.
Water quality measurements
♦sampling using appropriate bottles and methods:
and testing on-site or later in laboratory.
♦using portable instruments (e.g. salinity meter)