Recycle Of Waste Water and Waste Management
Why waste recycling
- Prevents emissions of greenhouse gasses & water pollutants
- Minimization of pollution
- Volume reduction
- Sanitation of waste (composting)
- Stabilization of biodegradable compounds
- Supplies valuable raw materials to industry
- Stimulates development of greener technologies and Reduce the need for new land fills and incinerators.
- Value addition to the waste
- IMPROVEMENT OF HEALTH
- CAPTURING VALUABLE PRODUCTS (NITROGEN & PHOSPHORUS)
- EFFICIENT USE OF WATER
Category Of Wastewater Reuse
- Grey Water Reuse
- Reuse of effluent from wastewater treatment plants
- Reuse of Industrial Process Water
Reuse Of Industrial Process Water
- Potential reduction in production costs from recovery of raw materials in the wastewater
- Less permitting and administrative burden from the reduction in wastewater toxicity and volume
- Heat recovery and reduced impacts from high temperature effluent to the ecosystem
APPLICATIONS OF TREATED WATER
- AGRICULTURAL IRRIGATION
- §URBAN/RESIDENTIAL RECYCLING
- GROUND WATER RECHARGE
- INDUSTRIAL ACTIVITIES
- POTABLE WATER
Important factors to be considered-
- Salinity of water
- Water infiltration rate of soil
- Evapotranspiration rate
- Soil property
- Wastewater can be excellent for municipal landscape watering of gardens or grassed areas.
- It contains nutrients essential for plant growth and can be used in public areas – subject to simple precautions – as an alternative to discharge into nutrient-sensitive waterways.
- Other uses may be for watering of golf courses, racecourses, aerodromes or for dust suppression on roads and sewer flushing.
- It could also provide added capacity for emergency fire fighting.
GROUND WATER RECHARGE
- Reduce,stop or reverse the declining ground water level,
- Protect underground freshwater in coastal aquifers against salt water intrusion from sea,
- Store surface water including flood or other surplus water for future use
Generally raw sewage contains-
- BOD- 300 mg/l
- COD- 500 mg/l
- Organic matter
- Heavy metal
- Toxic compounds
- Pathogenic bacteria etc.
Treatment of sewage to potable water means removal of harmful components and decrease of BOD to less than 2 mg/l.Singapore has developed such a treatment process to revive potable water (RECLAIMED WATER) from secondary effluent of STP.
QUALITY OF RECLAIMED WATER
Key factors effecting on-site waste Management
4 thoughts on “Recycle Of Waste Water and Waste Management”
good topic for awareness
Comments are closed.